With numerous red herrings, an unputdownable and powerful ending, and a twist most will not see coming, Hide and Seek is fast-paced, gritty, and highly entertaining - a terrific addition to your crime and mystery fiction reading list. Hide and Seek is the sixth installment of the recommended Helen Grace series by British author M.J. Arlidge.
Sexual Content: Mild
Explicit Language: Mild
Animal Cruelty: Mild
Thrilling Action: Moderate-to-High
Red Herrings: Moderate-to-High
Twists and Turns: Moderate
Plot Development: Moderate
Character Development: Moderate
Pages: 416 (Paperback)
Best for Crime Fiction Readers:
- Who enjoy British police procedurals.
- Who enjoy locked-room mysteries. Much of Hide and Seek takes place in the Gothic setting of an old, yet still in use, prison.
- Who appreciate novels that open with action and suspense that grabs the readers' attention right off the bat.
- Who appreciate short chapters, many of which are action-packed, that make the pages fly by.
- Who don't mind reading about some nightmarish happenings in their crime fiction. The methods of harm in this installment, while described mainly after the fact, are not for the faint of heart.
- Who enjoy reading crime fiction that features a strong, female character. Helen Grace just happens to have an aspect of her life, outside of the police force, that she would prefer to keep private.
- Please note: For the most entertaining experience, it is recommended that Mr. Arlidge's previous novel, Little Boy Blue, be read just prior to Hide and Seek. Hide and Seek does contain some spoilers for Little Boy Blue. Little Boy Blue, the fifth book in the series, delves into Helen's private life, and ends on an exciting cliff hanger that leads right into the plot of Hide and Seek.
MINM Overall Rating of Hide and Seek: 5/5
- Jul 2, 2019 Book Review: LOCK EVERY DOOR by Riley Sager Jul 2, 2019
- Jun 11, 2019 Book Review: THE INVITED by Jennifer McMahon Jun 11, 2019
- May 20, 2019 Book Review: MIRACLE CREEK by Angie Kim May 20, 2019
- April 2019
- Mar 21, 2019 Book Review: AFTER SHE'S GONE by Camilla Grebe Mar 21, 2019
- Feb 28, 2019 Book Review: THE SILENT PATIENT by Alex Michaelides Feb 28, 2019
- Feb 19, 2019 Book Review: THE LOST MAN by Jane Harper Feb 19, 2019
- Feb 1, 2019 Book Review: THE HIDING PLACE by C.J. Tudor Feb 1, 2019
- Jan 24, 2019 Book Review: NEVER TELL by Lisa Gardner Jan 24, 2019
- Jan 8, 2019 Book Review: An Anonymous Girl by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen Jan 8, 2019
- Jan 8, 2019 Happy 2019! Jan 8, 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- Oct 27, 2018 MINM Book Review: The Craftsman by Sharon Bolton Oct 27, 2018
- Oct 17, 2018 MINM Book Review: The Wife by Alafair Burke Oct 17, 2018
- Oct 15, 2018 A Quick Note To Authors, Publishers, And To My Readers: Oct 15, 2018
- Sep 30, 2018 MINM Book Review: Button Man by Andrew Gross Sep 30, 2018
- Aug 31, 2018 YOU by Caroline Kepnes Book Review and Video Trailer of the Series Adaptation Aug 31, 2018
- Aug 21, 2018 Book Review: The Other Woman by Sandie Jones Aug 21, 2018
- Aug 10, 2018 MINM Book Review: Something in the Water by Catherine Steadman Aug 10, 2018
- Aug 1, 2018 MINM Review: A Noise Downstairs by Linwood Barclay Aug 1, 2018
- Jul 22, 2018 MINM Book Review: NEED TO KNOW by Karen Cleveland Jul 22, 2018
- Jul 10, 2018 MINM Review: A Gathering of Secrets by Linda Castillo Jul 10, 2018
- Jul 2, 2018 Book Review: THE LAST TIME I LIED by Riley Sager Jul 2, 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- Feb 23, 2018 MINM Review: The Woman in the Window by A. J. Finn Feb 23, 2018
- Feb 12, 2018 MINM Review: The Legacy by Yrsa Sigurdardottir Feb 12, 2018
- Jan 31, 2018 MINM Review: LOOK FOR ME by Lisa Gardner Jan 31, 2018
- Jan 21, 2018 MINM Review: Into the Black Nowhere by Meg Gardiner Jan 21, 2018
- Jan 7, 2018 MINM Review: The Chalk Man by C.J. Tudor Jan 7, 2018
- Dec 17, 2017 MINM: Wishes our readers Happy Holidays with an excerpt from Magpie Murders Dec 17, 2017
- Dec 16, 2017 MINM Review: Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz Dec 16, 2017
- Dec 5, 2017 MINM Review: The Vanishing Season by Joanna Schaffhausen Dec 5, 2017
- Nov 28, 2017 MINM Review: You Can Run by Steve Mosby Nov 28, 2017
- Nov 21, 2017 MINM: is Thankful Nov 21, 2017
- Nov 15, 2017 MINM Review: NIGHTBLIND by Ragnar Jonasson Nov 15, 2017
- Nov 8, 2017 MINM Review: Down a Dark Road by Linda Castillo Nov 8, 2017
- Nov 2, 2017 MINM Review: Hide and Seek by M.J. Arlidge Nov 2, 2017
- October 2017
- Sep 26, 2017 MINM Review: Depth of Lies by E.C. Diskin Sep 26, 2017
- Sep 24, 2017 MINM Review: Glass Houses by Louise Penny Sep 24, 2017
- Sep 24, 2017 MINM Review: Unsub by Meg Gardiner Sep 24, 2017
- Sep 24, 2017 MINM Review: Exquisite by Sarah Stovell Sep 24, 2017
- Sep 24, 2017 MINM Review: The Lying Game by Ruth Ware Sep 24, 2017
- Sep 24, 2017 MINM Review: The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins Sep 24, 2017
Caught in a wicked game of cat and mouse, Helen Grace finds herself trapped among the hunted in the darkest thriller yet from the international bestselling author of Little Boy Blue and Eeny Meeny.
Framed for a murder she didn’t commit…
As one of HM Prison Holloway’s most high-profile new inmates, Helen Grace has a target on her back and nowhere to hide. She has made a long list of enemies over the course of her career—some are incarcerated within these very walls. When one of Helen’s fellow prisoners is found mutilated and murdered in her own locked cell, it’s clear that the killer is someone on the inside.
But time is running out for Helen as she races to expose the person who framed her, and the body count in the prison starts to climb. Helen will need to draw on all her investigative skills and instincts to catch the serial killer behind these murders and discover the truth—unless the killer finds her first.