A dark, serial killer thriller set in the San Francisco Bay Area, with plenty of action and suspense.
Sexual Content: Mild-to-Moderate
Explicit Language: None
Animal Cruelty: Moderate
Thrilling Action: Moderate-to-High
Red Herrings: Moderate
Twists and Turns: Mild-to-Moderate
Plot Development: Moderate
Character Development: Moderate
Pages: 366 (Hardcover)
Best for Crime Fiction Readers:
- Who enjoy crime fiction featuring one or more law enforcement officers "hunting" a serial killer.
- Who don't mind reading about various "creative" and sadistic methods of injuring and killing, as well as of handling victims' bodies, post-mortem. In Unsub, these are described to the reader mainly after the fact.
- Who appreciate crime fiction that is action-focused.
- Who enjoy unraveling the mystery of a serial killer's methods and modus operandi.
MINM Overall Rating: 4/5
- Jan 8, 2019 Book Review: An Anonymous Girl by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen Jan 8, 2019
- Jan 8, 2019 Happy 2019! Jan 8, 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- Oct 27, 2018 MINM Book Review: The Craftsman by Sharon Bolton Oct 27, 2018
- Oct 17, 2018 MINM Book Review: The Wife by Alafair Burke Oct 17, 2018
- Oct 15, 2018 A Quick Note To Authors, Publishers, And To My Readers: Oct 15, 2018
- Sep 30, 2018 MINM Book Review: Button Man by Andrew Gross Sep 30, 2018
- Aug 31, 2018 YOU by Caroline Kepnes Book Review and Video Preview of the Series Adaptation Aug 31, 2018
- Aug 21, 2018 Book Review: The Other Woman by Sandie Jones Aug 21, 2018
- Aug 10, 2018 MINM Book Review: Something in the Water by Catherine Steadman Aug 10, 2018
- Aug 1, 2018 MINM Review: A Noise Downstairs by Linwood Barclay Aug 1, 2018
- Jul 22, 2018 MINM Review: Need to Know by Karen Cleveland Jul 22, 2018
- Jul 10, 2018 MINM Review: A Gathering of Secrets by Linda Castillo Jul 10, 2018
- Jul 2, 2018 MINM Review: The Last Time I Lied by Riley Sager Jul 2, 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- Feb 23, 2018 MINM Review: The Woman in the Window by A. J. Finn Feb 23, 2018
- Feb 12, 2018 MINM Review: The Legacy by Yrsa Sigurdardottir Feb 12, 2018
- Jan 31, 2018 MINM Review: Look For Me by Lisa Gardner Jan 31, 2018
- Jan 21, 2018 MINM Review: Into the Black Nowhere by Meg Gardiner Jan 21, 2018
- Jan 7, 2018 MINM Review: The Chalk Man by C.J. Tudor Jan 7, 2018
- Dec 17, 2017 MINM: Wishes our readers Happy Holidays with an excerpt from Magpie Murders Dec 17, 2017
- Dec 16, 2017 MINM Review: Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz Dec 16, 2017
- Dec 5, 2017 MINM Review: The Vanishing Season by Joanna Schaffhausen Dec 5, 2017
- Nov 28, 2017 MINM Review: You Can Run by Steve Mosby Nov 28, 2017
- Nov 21, 2017 MINM: is Thankful Nov 21, 2017
- Nov 15, 2017 MINM Review: Nightblind by Ragnar Jonasson Nov 15, 2017
- Nov 8, 2017 MINM Review: Down a Dark Road by Linda Castillo Nov 8, 2017
- Nov 2, 2017 MINM Review: Hide and Seek by M.J. Arlidge Nov 2, 2017
- October 2017
- Sep 26, 2017 MINM Review: Depth of Lies by E.C. Diskin Sep 26, 2017
- Sep 24, 2017 MINM Review: Glass Houses by Louise Penny Sep 24, 2017
- Sep 24, 2017 MINM Review: Unsub by Meg Gardiner Sep 24, 2017
- Sep 24, 2017 MINM Review: Exquisite by Sarah Stovell Sep 24, 2017
- Sep 24, 2017 MINM Review: The Lying Game by Ruth Ware Sep 24, 2017
- Sep 24, 2017 MINM Review: The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins Sep 24, 2017
A riveting psychological thriller inspired by the never-caught Zodiac Killer, about a young detective determined to apprehend the serial murderer who destroyed her family and terrorized a city twenty years earlier.
Caitlin Hendrix has been a Narcotics detective for six months when the killer at the heart of all her childhood nightmares reemerges: the Prophet. An Unsub—what the FBI calls an unknown subject—the Prophet terrorized the Bay Area in the 1990s and nearly destroyed her father, the lead investigator on the case.
The Prophet’s cryptic messages and mind games drove Detective Mack Hendrix to the brink of madness, and Mack’s failure to solve the series of ritualized murders—eleven seemingly unconnected victims left with the ancient sign for Mercury etched into their flesh—was the final nail in the coffin for a once promising career.
Twenty years later, two bodies are found bearing the haunting signature of the Prophet. Caitlin Hendrix has never escaped the shadow of her father’s failure to protect their city. But now the ruthless madman is killing again and has set his sights on her, threatening to undermine the fragile barrier she rigidly maintains for her own protection, between relentless pursuit and dangerous obsession.
Determined to decipher his twisted messages and stop the carnage, Caitlin ignores her father’s warnings as she draws closer to the killer with each new gruesome murder. Is it a copycat, or can this really be the same Prophet who haunted her childhood? Will Caitlin avoid repeating her father’s mistakes and redeem her family name, or will chasing the Prophet drag her and everyone she loves into the depths of the abyss?